Waltons
Membership Liase Email
Moderators
Level : 12
HP : 0 / 288
MP : 60 / 11528
EXP : 54
Hi all,

As a Dutch girl I know how most of the Dutch people are celebrating Christmas. I'm curious to know how the English are celebrating these Holy days. Does anyone want to share this with us?

Ineke

Posted on: 2004/12/9 8:10
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Christmas
C17th Junkie
From Rotherham
Group:
Registered Users
Waltons
Level : 9
HP : 0 / 201
MP : 33 / 7979
EXP : 5
Gunfire(Tea and rum) at breafast served by the officers and SNCO's. Xmas dinner, served by the officers and SNCO's and probably work!

Posted on: 2004/12/9 9:18

Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Generally in the UK, Christmas is celebrated on Christmas Day itself. Most adults are nursing enormous hangovers from Christmas Eve and the children will jump on their beds at stupid o'clock pronouncing that 'He's been! He's been!' ('He' being Father Christmas).

Some people are fairly sensible and go to Christmas Eve Mass at church and go to bed soon after thus waking suitable refreshed and ready for the stress and gastronomic onslaught that Christmas Day traditionally brings.

Either way Christmas Day itself usually sees people eating far too much food. Traditional UK lunch is roast turkey, roast potatoes, lots of vegetables (especially sprouts - one either hates them or loves them). I have an Asian friend who finds it hilarious that the British stock up enough food before Christmas to feed an army over a week. Amazing since the shops are only closed 24hrs maximum!

After stuffing stomachs full to capacity, lots of people fall asleep on the sofa watching TV. The Queen's Speech is broadcast at 3pm (usually worth sleeping through anyway).

Then people get up and open the fridge again....

Me? I'm a bah humbug merchant and would ban Christmas altogether given half the chance. Not least because my birthday also falls on 25th December.

The Scots prefer to make a big celebration of New Year's Eve, which they call Hogmanay.

I hate NYE too!

Bring on the summer!

Posted on: 2004/12/16 16:54

C17th Junkie
From Rotherham
Group:
Registered Users
Waltons
Well, It's that time of year so Happy Christmass one and all. I shall be working on guard to night but actually have tomorrow off. Don't know what I'm going to do with it but I shall think of something!
David

Posted on: 2004/12/24 5:38

C17th Junkie
From Rotherham
Group:
Registered Users
Waltons
Given it's nearly that time of year what's the score re the Banquent?

Posted on: 2005/1/8 14:17

Anonymous
Re: Christmas & stuff
Guest_Anonymous
You took the words right oughta my mouth. Not only can I not log in, but there is silence about any banquet and Ali isn't responding to calls. What gives chaps ?

Andy & Mandy

Posted on: 2005/1/25 21:53

Re: Christmas & stuff
T'Officer Class
From Benson, Oxon, England
Group:
Registered Users
Waltons
CO Liase Email
Membership Liase Email
HP : 0 / 223
MP : 39 / 8939
EXP : 94
Dear all,

Sorry that you have not had any info yet but there seems to be a prob on our events list. I have tried to put the dates up on events and also submit a news article. Unfortunately without success.

The score is this, due to cetain problems with the original hall things got delayed. I was then out of country with work.

We have now arranged a new better site (which has not exactly been easy!) and the invites are on the way.

The date unfortunately has changed, it will now be on the 16/17 April at Baskerville hall.

I have sent e-mails to try to keep people updated but some addresses are not working. (Andy & Mandy, unfortunately yours is one)

Here is the web site if you wish to have a Butchers.

http://www.baskervillehall.co.uk

If you have any questions on this or anything else, now or in the future that you feel have not been answerd then contact me. You all should have my contact details, so do not be afraid to use them!

Yours in the service of God and Parliment

Scotty

Posted on: 2005/2/2 23:05

Reply New Topic

AccountName   Password   Login
Enter the security code     

You can view topic.
You can start a new topic.
You can reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You can post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Main Menu
Latest ads
No ad at the moment.
Who's Online
4 user(s) are online (2 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 4

more...
Goggle Ads
Search
Monitor

Copyright (c) 2004 - 2008 Colonel Valentine Walton's Regiment of Foot. Administered by Business Systems for Xoops